Thursday, April 18, 2013

English Class Family Dinner

For awhile, I've been wanting to have a dinner at Stephen & Mary's for the kids that come to English class on Saturday mornings and their parents. I thought it would be a good way to meet the parents & get to know them & for them to know me as well. On Friday, April 5th, we finally had the dinner. There were 16 kids that came & around that many parents that came when they got off work for the day.
 
Girls arriving for dinner
Boys playing soccer while they're waiting
  We had "mugata", otherwise known as Korean barbecue. There are pots set up that you burn charcoal in & a metal pan that sits over the top that you boil water & vegetables around the sides & grill meat on the top. It's a very fun meal!

Charcoal pots & mats set up & ready

Kids eating - girls around one pot & boys around another

Some parents have arrived


 This meal always reminds me of making s'mores at home, but s'more ingredients are hard to come by here in Thailand - marshmallows are pretty expensive & I still haven't seen graham crackers anywhere. There is a candy here that is marshmallow on the outside & chocolate in the middle, so we bought these for dessert & showed the kids how to roast marshmallows. They really enjoyed it!


We got some group pictures while everyone was here as well.

Thomas & I with the kids

All of the kids with their parents
The night was really fun! I wasn't able to get to know all of the parents, but talked to several. They all were smiling a lot & I could tell were really enjoying themselves. I was glad to be able to have this dinner & meet so many of the parents & just have a fun night with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment